- Norovirus from CDC - "Stomach Flu." Symptoms of Norovirus infection usually include diarrhea, throwing up, nausea, and stomach cramping. Other, less common symptoms may include low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and general sense of fatigue. Details from CDC here
- Parent-Teacher Conferences: What Questions to Ask
- Parenting Apart - Helping Separated and Divorced Parents raise HAPPY and SECURE Kids
- Texas PTA Resources for Parents & Parenting
- Homework Tips for Parents by U.S. Department of Education.
- Free Online Tutoring through the San Antonio Public Library
(must be a San Antonio Library card holder)
- Scholastic Parents. Scholastic Parents is your online source for the latest information and advice on learning and development, family life, and school success. Here you find topics like: Improve Your Child’s Handwriting, What to Expect in 4th Grade, Raise a Healthy Family
- Bullying can happen anywhere and to anyone. Get the information that you need to help stop bullying at school, online, and in the community. Stop Bullying Click here
- NEISD Bullying Awareness Website Click Here
- Parent Resource Center at iKeepSafe.org - Everything you need to Keep Your Family Safe Online
- Parents Resource Center on The Partnership for a Drug-Free America. The Parents Resource Center provides advice and stories from parents and professionals about drug prevention, intervention and raising healthy teens.
- "Our Children" - National PTA Magazine - The online edition of Our Children, the PTA national magazine, focuses on parents' needs. Parents have clearly expressed the desire to get the information relevant to their lives in a quick-read, online format. PTA delivers to the web the same high-quality, relevant articles found in the print magazine.
- Topics - Topics features what matters to YOU! Parents today are challenged more than ever. The PTA offers plenty of resources to help equip parents with the right tools at home, school, and life.
- Working Together To Improve The Education, Health, And Well Being Of Texas Children
- Talking to your children about tragedy by Dr. Phil
- Helping Children Feel Safe in Unsafe Times
- How to talk to your children about school shootings
- How to help children cope with a crisis
- Coping With Tragedy by Dr. Jim Sears a Board Certified Pediatrician from The Doctors TV Show
Managing Lice: A Little Knowledge Goes a Long Way
Children contract lice from personal contact (hugging and playing). Head lice are not signs of unwashed hair-they thrive in clean hair rather than dirty hair. Most important, head lice DO NOT pose a health risk. They do not carry any disease and do not suggest lack of personal care. They are however, a real nuisance, do cause discomfort and should be removed with care and vigilance. There are natural methods available. There is no evidence to support the use of insecticides in the school – NONE!
It is best to remain calm and caring, seek help from members of one’s community in the early stages, and to share what you learn with others as they encounter the situation themselves. Remember, knowledge is power!
Websites for Managing Lice:
Hair and Head Lice:Treatment and Prevention (thanks to Alyssa!)
Dual Language Resources
- Why Bilinguals Are Smarter. Read article
- The Bilingual Advantage. Read article
- National Dual Language Consortium - In 2006, five non-profit organizations and several leading dual language researchers joined together to form the National Dual Language Consortium. The members conduct research, provide training and services for dual language practitioners, and disseminate information about dual language to a wide audience.
- National Association of Parents With Children In Special Education (NAPCSE) - A place where parents of children in special education can find everything they need to know to be their child’s best advocate
- Voice Nation - The education of special students requires specialized teaching methods and programs. Here are some special education resources for parents and educators.
- US Dept of Education - My Child's Special Needs
- NEISD Special Education Programs and Services
- NEISD Pre-School Programs for Children with Disabilities
- The Arc of Texas - Texas Special Ed links at your fingertips.
- The 200 best Special Education Apps
- Free Must-Have iPad Apps for Special Education
- Apple Special Education Website
- 10 Websites to Find Special Needs Apps for the iPad & iPhone